i keep going back to look at this
The scene in Ferguson turned violent once again on Monday night after repeated clashes between police and protesters.
Law enforcement officials said early Tuesday that they “came under heavy gunfire” and had arrested 31 people by the end of the evening, Reuters reports.
[Image: a series of tweets by justified agitator (@Awkward_Duck) on August 19, 2014.
1:23 AM: We literally laid in someone’s backyard for what seemed like an eternity while tanks rolled down the streets #Ferguson
1:26 AM: I’m live tweeting because there’s a media blackout. #Ferguson
1:33 AM: I’m so shaken. They’re literally just rolling around throwing tear gas into neighborhoods-not aggressive crowds. #Ferguson
1:34 AM: I was pouring milk over one guys eyes when they came back around and threw another at us. #Ferguson
1:51 AM: Let me repeat, THEY ARE GASSING NEIGHBORHOODS not crowds of protestors.There was only a few of us walking. there is no curfew, so why?]
I swear the fuckin producers of the simpsons knew shit was an issue before anyone opened their eyes.
The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 75% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 530 cops —less than 5 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. So please - don’t get it twisted
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air 2x09 - “Cased Up” (November 11, 1991)
what the fuck man
So basically, that cop fully intended to murder a black person that day. I hear that the Justice Department or FBI is investigating whether or not Michael Brown’s civil rights were violated and I so, so, SO hope they were because that makes his murder a FEDERAL CRIME and that folks, is a whole different ball game. I also hope that they can slap him with a hate crime charge, if they can establish that the cop murdered Brown because he was black.